|“||This is the Black Hood. I am the man who shot the adulterer at Pop's. I killed the child predator in Greendale. I shot the drug and sex addicted teenagers at Lovers' Lane. Riverdale is not innocent. It's a town of hypocrites, degenerates, and criminals. My wrath is the price of your lies, your secrets, your sins. I will not stop. I cannot be stopped. I am the wolf. You are the flock. This is the bloodletting. You will hear from me again.||”|
|— The Black Hood's letter to the town.[src]|
The Black Hood is an anonymous character and one of the main antagonists of the second season who carried out the shooting of Fred Andrews in Pop's Chock'lit Shoppe, the murder of Geraldine Grundy in Greendale, the gun attack on Moose Mason and Midge Klump at Lover's Lane and the shooting of Robert Phillips at the Sheriff Station, among other heinous acts.
All of the Black Hood's victims are or at one point were residents on the north side of Riverdale, and/or have committed some sin, such as being a child predator, committed by Geraldine Grundy, sex and drugs, committed by Midge Klump and Moose Mason, adultery, committed by Fred Andrews, and drug dealing, committed by Robert Phillips. This has caused Polly Cooper to leave town out of fear of being that Black Hood could target her, due being an unwed mother, and being pregnant with her own cousin's children.
In "Chapter Twenty-Two: Silent Night, Deadly Night", it was revealed that the face lying underneath the hood is Joseph Svenson, formerly known as Joe Conway before he was adopted by another family in Riverdale after the massacre of his parents and two siblings. He was Riverdale High's janitor before being shot and killed by Sheriff Keller.
In "Chapter Twenty-Three: The Blackboard Jungle", Archie confides that he is unsure that they had caught the right man, suggesting that there could be multiple "Black Hoods".
In "Chapter Thirty-One: A Night to Remember", during "Carrie the Musical", it was revealed that the Black Hood may still be alive after several threatening messages were sent to Kevin Keller. These letters were signed by the Black Hood and demanded the role of Carrie White (played by Cheryl Blossom) be recasted. When it came time to perform the musical, the body of Midge Klump, who replaced Cheryl as the role of Carrie, was discovered on stage, stabbed and crucified, announcing the Black Hood's return.
The "Angel of Death" had come to Riverdale
The morning following the 75th Anniversary Jubilee, an event that was supposed to unite Riverdale, a masked gunman entered Pop's Chock'lit Shoppe. He stood on top of the counter with a gun pointed to Pop Tate, making demands. While doing so, Fred Andrews looked over at his son, Archie, and told his son to stay back. The gunman then turned his attention to Fred and demanded his wallet at gunpoint. Archie panicked and ran out in between the gunman and his father. Despite Archie's frantic decision, Fred was shot in the stomach. After firing that single shot, the gunman ran out of the shop, leaving a critically injured Fred for dead.
This masked assailant is seen to be a tall man who appears to be 5'10" tall per Archie's testimony to the Sheriff. He has green eyes as Archie described to the cops, and as was seen. He wears a black hood, hence his nickname.
|Editor's Note: The list of suspects detailed below are of characters who have been suspected within the show of being the Black Hood. It should in no way list characters who fans have deemed as being potential suspects.|
- Hiram Lodge / Hermione Lodge (by Veronica; Disproven in Hermione's case since Black Hood is male)
- Southside Serpents (by Alice Cooper and Jughead Jones)
- Geraldine Grundy's ex-husband (by Archie Andrews; Disproven due to an alibi)
- Southsider (by Southside Serpents)
- Sheriff Keller (by Betty Cooper; Somewhat disproven by him)
- Riverdale Reaper (by Farmer McGinty, Jughead Jones and Betty; Disproven as the Reaper was killed years ago)
- Joseph Svenson (by Veronica; Supposedly disproven by Archie as the Black Hood allegedly has green eyes but proven to be true after his death)
- Pop Tate - Threatened at gunpoint. (survived)
- Archie Andrews - Threatened at gunpoint twice and attempted to have him buried alive. (survived)
- Fred Andrews - Shot in the stomach. (survived)
- Geraldine Grundy - Strangled with cello bow. (deceased)
- Moose Mason - Multiple shots in the chest and stomach. (survived)
- Midge Klump - Shot at but was missed; later was impaled with several sharp objects against a wall. (deceased)
- Robert Phillips - Shot. (deceased)
- Betty Cooper - Threatened at gunpoint. (survived)
- He is based on the character from the 1940, 1943, and 2015 MLJ/Archie Comics, "Black Hood", who is an ex-cop turned vigilante. Black Hood is known for wearing a black hood with eyes holes cut-out and mainly kills people whom he believes are criminals or are involved in criminal activity somehow. 
- According to Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa, Riverdale's Black Hood share some similarities with real-life Zodiac Killer, an anonymous criminal active in northern California in the late 1960s and early 1970s that has never been caught. Both killers targeted and shot couples on love lanes, used different weaponry, and sent letters and ciphered messages to the press.
Season 1 Screencaps