- "Every town has one. The spooky house that all the kids avoid. Ours was Thornhill, the Blossom family's mansion, with its very own graveyard. And, trapped within its walls like some gothic heroine, was Cheryl Blossom. Still grieving for her beloved brother, Jason. Linked in death even as they were in life."
- —Jughead Jones
THE HOUSE OF SECRETS AND LIES — With Jason’s funeral around the corner, the Blossom family moves forward with last minute preparations – and a secret agenda. Meanwhile, Archie’s attempt to refocus his energy on football comes to a halt when an opportunity to work with a new music mentor presents itself. Betty dives deeper into her investigation of Jason’s death and unearths some dark revelations about her family. Elsewhere, after uncovering secrets about her own family, Veronica forms an unlikely friendship with Cheryl, who is having a tougher time with Jason’s impending funeral than she lets on. Finally, Hermione turns to Fred for help after receiving a cryptic message from the Southside Serpents.
- Kevin: "Going on a date with Trev? Does Mama Cooper know about that?"
- Betty: "Kev, I'm not on house arrest... Okay, she's out of town at a Women in Journalism spa retreat. Anyway, it's not a “date” date."
- Jughead: "You just called it a date. You literally said, "It's a date.""
- ―Betty, Kevin and Jughead in The Blue and Gold offices
- "What about you, Archie? How's life in a PG world? ...PG. Post-Grundy. What, too soon?"
- —Veronica to Archie
- Betty: "Is it me or did the temperature just drop like it does in horror movies?"
- Jughead: "That's just the icy chill of the dead."
- ―Betty and Jughead investigating
- Jughead: "Betty... if your parents lied about Jason and Polly, there's probably more that they lied about."
- Betty: "What do you mean?"
- Jughead: "Your dad said he would do anything to protect Polly. So, the next logical question is... How far would he go to protect her?"
- ―Jughead suspects Hal Cooper
- Veronica: "Cheryl, wait. You're in pain. This is a horrible week for you. I'm sure it's why you're being particularly obnoxious."
- Cheryl: "Maybe. What's your point?"
- Veronica: "Look, I don't want to be locked in a catfight to the death with you. That only ends in one way, mutual annihilation."
- Cheryl: "Agreed."
- Veronica: " So, can't we just... Be friends? Or, at least, frenemies?"
- ―Veronica and Cheryl try to get along
- This episode marks the first appearance of Valerie Brown without the Pussycats.
- This episode marks the first absence of Alice Cooper.
- The dream sequence in which Jason Blossom comes back to life and attacks Cheryl is a subtle nod to "Afterlife with Archie". This is a comic series in the Archie franchise dealing with life in Riverdale after a zombie apocalypse.
- The title for the fifth chapter comes from the Joseph Conrad novel, "Heart of Darkness" that was adapted into the film Apocalypse Now.
- It could also come from the 1993 television film of the same name.