- "Thicker than blood, more precious than oil. Riverdale's big business, is maple syrup. Since the town's founding, one family has controlled it's lucrative syrup trade: the Blossoms. They were a part of the fabric of our daily lives. Rich or poor, old or young, we consumed Blossom syrup by the bucket. That sickly sweet smell was inescapable. The death of Jason Blossom precipitated a crisis, with the heir apparent gone, who would inherit the family business one day? Certainly not Cheryl. It was a question that brought the wolves to Riverdale, and now, the Blossoms were circling the wagons against possible attack, from within their own ranks."
- —Jughead Jones
ULTERIOR MOTIVES — Archie reluctantly agrees to escort Cheryl to her family’s official start of maple syrup tapping because he gets an offer that could help his future. Archie starts to become skeptical of the real reason the Blossoms are so eager to help him, however he gets some helpful information for Betty about her sister. Veronica is trying to be nice and unbeknownst to her, befriends a classmate that her father’s illegal doings has hurt. Hermione is conflicted about telling Fred the truth. Meanwhile, Alice is ready to get revenge on the Blossoms once and for all with the help of her two daughters.
- KJ Apa as Archie Andrews
- Lili Reinhart as Betty Cooper
- Camila Mendes as Veronica Lodge
- Cole Sprouse as Jughead Jones
- Marisol Nichols as Hermione Lodge
- Madelaine Petsch as Cheryl Blossom
- Madchen Amick as Alice Cooper
- Luke Perry as Fred Andrews
- Casey Cott as Kevin Keller
- Shannon Purser as Ethel Muggs
- Nathalie Boltt as Penelope Blossom
- Barclay Hope as Cliff Blossom
- Hayley Law as Valerie Brown
- Lochlyn Munro as Hal Cooper
- Tiera Skovbye as Polly Cooper
- Arabella Bushnell as Aunt Cricket
- Jenn MacLean-Angus as Mrs. Muggs
- David Pihlainen as Tailor
- Trevor Stines as Jason Blossom
- Gina Williams as English Teacher
- Alex Zahara as Uncle Bedford
- Archie: "I already talked to Valerie and she's cool with it."
- Jughead: "Cool with you being a gigolo, now?"
- ―Archie tells the group of his involvement with the Blossoms
- Archie: "At the banquet, I heard Mr. and Mrs. Blossom talking. It sounded like Clifford Blossom was responsible for sending Veronica's dad to jail."
- Betty: "Oh, my god. If Clifford sent Hiram Lodge to jail, tore apart his family, then maybe Hiram was trying to do the same thing to him?"
- Jughead: "Yeah, by going after what the Blossoms value most: their family, their legacy. That's a motive."
- ―Jughead adds Hiram Lodge's name to Jason Blossom's murder board
- The title for this chapter is named after the 1937 Jean Renoir film.
- This episode marks the end of Archie and Valerie's first relationship and Fred and Hermione's second relationship.