- "What makes a place feel like home? Is it warmth and familiarity? Some idealized, make-believe TV version of the American Dream? Is it love and acceptance? Or is it simple safety? "
- —Jughead Jones
THE SEARCH IS ON — When a major piece of evidence is mysteriously destroyed, new rumors begin to swirl as to who was really behind Jason’s murder. Tensions build when Jughead’s father returns to the fray and it’s revealed that he and Fred have some unresolved issues between them. Meanwhile, Veronica takes matters into her own hands after her fight with Hermione. Cheryl approaches Betty with an unexpected proposal that leaves Betty torn.
The episode opens with a strange 50s style dream Jughead has, in which he is married to Betty, Jason Blossom is alive and the Coopers are loving parents who approve of both their daughters relationships. In the dream, the Cooper family, Jason and Jughead, as well as Veronica and Archie, were sitting down to a big turkey dinner and as Jughead started to carve the bird, the knife disappears from his hand. Archie then walked up and calmly asked, "Dude, why'd you stab me in the back?" before turning around, the carving knife embedded between his shoulder blades. Jughead is then woken by his phone alarm and is shown living out of Riverdale High School.
Archie learns, after bumping into him in the boys' locker room early that morning, that Jughead has been sleeping in a closet under a staircase at the school. Jughead explains that things aren't good at home. His dad, has fallen off the wagon since Fred Andrews fired him, and his mother left with Jellybean to live with their grandparents a while back. Archie invites him to stay at his place, but he declines, saying that his situation was only temporary. He’s more concerned that Betty might find out that he’s effectively homeless.
Later on, they meet up with the rest of the group and debate whether they should tell the police about Polly’s escape from the Sisters of Quiet Mercy. Unbeknownst to them, Ginger, who's standing several feet behind them, is texting all of this information to Cheryl Blossom. Cheryl then trades her intel to her mother and Sheriff Keller in exchange for permission to reclaim her rightful place as queen of the River Vixens. She even takes the liberty of tweeting her theory of Polly being Jason's killer using numerous hashtags.
Determined to get to Polly before the Blossoms can, Betty and Jughead organise a search of Eversgreen Forest and instruct a group of volunteers to scour the woods near Sisters of Quiet Mercy. But the search is interrupted by the Blossoms. After the search, Alice decides to go all "damage control mode" and addresses the press outside a church that all the rumors about Polly are not true, she even announces one thing that she was willing to keep a secret — Polly is pregnant. If Polly is pregnant with Jason's baby, why would she try and harm the father of the child?
As Jughead walks Betty home the same night, something he says leads Betty to realize where Polly is hiding — the attic. Polly still wants to raise her baby on a farm upstate, like she and Jason had planned, but she has no resources. More pressingly, the Coopers are insisting that she give the baby up for adoption. Cheryl changes sides after she learns of the baby that Polly is carrying. She tells Betty she wants to help however she can. Betty even agrees to meet with the Blossoms.
- KJ Apa as Archie Andrews
- Lili Reinhart as Betty Cooper
- Camila Mendes as Veronica Lodge
- Cole Sprouse as Jughead Jones
- Marisol Nichols as Hermione Lodge
- Madelaine Petsch as Cheryl Blossom
- Ashleigh Murray as Josie McCoy
- Madchen Amick as Alice Cooper
- Luke Perry as Fred Andrews
- Ross Butler as Reggie Mantle
- Casey Cott as Kevin Keller
- Martin Cummins as Sheriff Keller
- Skeet Ulrich as FP Jones
- Nathalie Boltt as Penelope Blossom
- Asha Bromfield as Melody Valentine
- Peter Bryant as Mr. Weatherbee
- Barclay Hope as Cliff Blossom
- Hayley Law as Valerie Brown
- Lochlyn Munro as Hal Cooper
- Tiera Skovbye as Polly Cooper
- Tom McBeath as Smithers
- Caitlin Mitchell-Markovitch as Ginger Lopez
- Kevan Ohtsji as Club Manager
- Alvin Sanders as Pop Tate
- Trevor Stines as Jason Blossom
- Kevin: "You guys, oh my God!"
- Veronica: "What?"
- Kevin: "Cheryl just tweeted, "#PollyCooperkilledmybrother, #nowheretohide, #sharpenyourpitchforks""
- Betty: "Oh, no! We need to find Polly before the Blossoms do."
- ―Cheryl starts the hunt for Polly
- Veronica: "When my dad got arrested, the police...the lawyers...the judge...the courts... They took everything from us. Our houses, our cars, our club memberships, our yacht. Even, I'm not kidding, the clothes off our backs. Anyway, my mom sat me down at the edge of my canopy bed and she told me not to cry, because there was one thing in this world that nobody could take away from me. Not ever."
- Reggie: "Your trust fund?"
- Veronica: "My name, Reggie. Which, after telling me nobody would ever take it, that is exactly what she did! Like it meant nothing. Like it was nothing... Like I was nothing."
- ―Veronica opens up to Josie, Kevin and Reggie at the club
- Hermione: "Why are you even here?"
- FP Jones: "My son asked me to try and go straight, okay. Now you gonna make that hard on me? Dudley Do-Right doesn't know I'm a Serpent, so I'd appreciate it if you'd keep that to yourself... Because here's the thing about snakes, you don't step on'em, they got no reason to bite."
- ―Hermione encounters FP after he's rehired at Andrews Construction
- Sheriff Keller: "You have a long and rough history, Mr. Jones. Bullied a lot."
- Jughead: "Yeah. My name is 'Jughead'."
- ―Sheriff Keller interrogating Jughead
- The title for this chapter is named after the Dorothy B. Hughes novel which in turn was adapted into the 1950 film.