- "Weekdays, from 8:25am to 3:01pm we adhere to a strict regimen. Everything in our lives is controlled, but then something like the murder of Jason Blossom happens and you realize, there is no such thing as control, there is only chaos. Nevertheless, some of us strive to impose and maintain order, in what is, fundamentally, an orderless world. A fact which would very soon be confirmed, in ways none of us could have foreseen."
- —Jughead Jones
TRUE FEELINGS – GUEST STARRING MOLLY RINGWALD – When Fred decides to finalize the divorce with Archie’s mother Mary, Archie hides his true feelings. Archie tries to win Valerie back with a romantic evening, however, Betty hijacks his plans when she decides to throw Jughead a surprise birthday party. Once Cheryl learns of the party, she decides to make it interesting and things quickly get out of control. Meanwhile, Veronica contemplates whether she should participate in the deposition to help get her Dad released.
Guest Starring Edit
- Jughead: "I didn't think you were the American Werewolf kind of girl."
- Betty: "Ooh, that's where you're wrong Jughead Jones. I'm all about the beast within."
- ―Betty and Jughead at The Bijou
- The title for this chapter is named after the Charles R. Jackson novel of the same name, which was then adapted into the 1945 film of the same name.
- This episode marks the first appearance of Mary Andrews.
- Veronica mentions that the payments between Blossom Maple Farms and Lodge Industries had been happening for seventy-five years. This is in reference to the seventy-fifth anniversary of Archie Comics that was marked on December 2016.
- Archie questioning why he always "screws things up" is a possible nod to how his comic counterpart is widely known for constantly causing accidents.
- The shirt Betty wears with the crown in this episode is a nod to Jughead and his iconic crown. As this is about his birthday and she wants to make it special for him, this makes sense.