- "I think many of us, maybe the entire town, had been hoping against hope that somehow Jason Blossom hadn't drowned on July 4th. That we'd come to school Monday morning, and there Jason would be. Or that we'd see him and Cheryl in a booth at Pop's. But that was before the undeniable, irrevocable fact of his bloated, water-logged body, a corpse with a bullet hole in its forehead, and terrible secrets that could only be revealed by the cold, steel blade of a coroner's autopsy scalpel, or the telltale beating of a guilty heart."
- —Jughead Jones
SECRETS UNRAVELED — As new details of Jason’s death begin to emerge, Archie pleads with Miss Grundy to come forward with what they heard at Sweetwater River. Betty makes an effort to mend her friendship with Archie but takes a different stance with Veronica, who is trying to make up for her actions. With rumors around her brother’s death running rampant, Cheryl deals with the pressure in true Queen Bee fashion, while tensions boil over when Jughead stumbles upon a secret Archie was hoping to keep hidden. Finally, plans for the annual fall pep rally move forward with a performance by Josie and the Pussycats and a special appearance by Mayor McCoy.
- Hal: "We just wanted you to know, it's gonna be a bit of a late night for us."
- Alice: "It's going to be a lot of late nights for us. I mean, an accidental drowning, who cares? But the sociopathic son of the wealthiest family in town, murdered? That's a national obsession waiting to happen."
- Hal: "He's barely in his grave, Alice—"
- Alice: "Can you warm up the car, Hal? I'll be right down."
- ―Hal and Alice Cooper speaking with Betty
- Jughead: "Hi. Do you think I can use Jason Blossom's death as an excuse to get out of PE? "Sorry, Coach, I'm just too depressed and freaked-out right now to do pull-ups.""
- Archie: "Don't joke about Jason Blossom."
- Jughead: "What? Sardonic humor is just my way of relating to the world."
- ―Jughead and Archie at school
- Betty: "Speaking of bodies... Have you recovered from finding Jason's?"
- Kevin: "It was more traumatising having to explain to my dad what I was doing with Moose at the river. Yet another perk of being the sheriff's son."
- ―Betty and Kevin discuss Kevin's night before
- Sheriff Keller: "So as of the weekend, Jason's death is now being treated as a homicide. It is an open and ongoing investigation—"
- Cheryl: "And may I interject, neither I nor my parents will rest until Jason's death is avenged, and his cold-hearted killer is walking the green mile to sit in Old Sparky and fry. I, for one, have my suspicions. #RiverdaleStrong."
- ―Sherrif Keller and Cheryl Blossom over the school intercom
- "It's not anyone's fault. It's not even stupid Archie's. It's just how it is. Most of the time the people we like don't like us back. Romeo and Juliet are the exception, not the rule."
- —Veronica comforts Betty
- Reggie: "Isn't it always some spooky, scrawny, pathetic internet troll, too busy writing his manifestos to get laid? Some smug, moody, serial killer fanboy freak, like Jughead? [laughs] What was it like, Suicide Squad? When you shot Jason? You didn't do stuff to the body, did you? Like... after?"
- Jughead: "It's called necrophilia, Reggie. Can you spell it?"
- ―Reggie ponders aloud on Jason Blossom's killer
- Archie: "I'm sorry."
- Jughead: "It's cool... We're not gonna hug in front of this whole town. [laughs] So why don't we both just do that bro thing where we nod like douches and mutually suppress our emotions?"
- Archie: "Yeah, but as friends, right?"
- Jughead: "To be discussed, over many burgers, and many days."
- ―Archie and Jughead rekindling their friendship
- Veronica: "Betty... Can we make a vow?"
- Betty: "Sure."
- Veronica: "That no matter what, no boy will ever come between us again. Deal?"
- Betty: "Deal. [clinks milkshake glasses]"
- ―Betty and Veronica at Pop's
- Kevin references "Madam Satan", whilst talking to Veronica. Traditionally in the Archie Comics, Madam Satan is a recurring character, most recently being the main villain of "The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina".
- Betty's nickname for Archie when they were in the second grade, "Little Archie", is a reference to the comics as that was Archie's official nickname for when he was young. It also spanned its own separate comic series.
- This episode marks the first mention of Midge Klump.
- The title of this chapter comes from the Judas Priest song "A Touch of Evil".
- It may also derive from the 1958 film "Touch of Evil".