- "I saw a lot of fire and hustle from both of you this week. It was almost too close to call. Reggie, your time will come. But for this season, at least, this is a new number, seeing that you took it upon yourself to retire Jason's. Which was the right call. You know exactly what a captain should and would do."
- —Coach Clayton to Archie and Reggie[src]
Coach Clayton called over Archie Andrews during practice, handing him Jason Blossom's former jersey. Coach informed Archie that the jersey belongs to him now, despite sophomores typically playing JV, he's placed Archie on Varsity due to an open spot and his immense talent but this means longer practices, more away games, and bigger commitments. Archie explained that he needs time to think it over due to family obligations, so the Coach granted him permission to think it over before giving a final answer. 
After the discovery of his son's "playbook", a book that contained a list of female students that certain players of the football team claimed to have hooked up with and would later rank, Coach Clayton was forced to cut Chuck, along with several other players from the team, in order to both salvage his job, and the school's reputation. 
Upon observing Archie Andrews' poor performance on the field, Coach confronted him in the locker room, then calling over Reggie Mantle. He pit the two players against each other, in a race to see who wanted to be team captain the most, giving them a week to impress him. In the subsequent week, Coach would bring the boys two his office, and announce Archie as the next team captain. He admired that Archie returned Jason Blossom's jersey to his family, it was something a captain should and would do. However, Archie denied Coach's offer, as he couldn't put all of himself into the game. 
Clayton is an older man, he's fairly tall, standing somewhere around 6'2. He has dark skin, brown eyes, shaven hair and an overall athletic build. Which isn't a surprise, considering that he's the varsity football coach.
- "Chapter One: The River's Edge"
- "Chapter Two: A Touch of Evil"
- "Chapter Three: Body Double"
- "Chapter Five: Heart of Darkness"
- See also: Category:Images of Coach Clayton
- ↑ Aguirre-Sacasa, Roberto (writer) & Krieger, Lee Toland (director) (January 26, 2017). "Chapter One: The River's Edge". Riverdale. Season 1. Episode 1. The CW.
- ↑ Aguirre-Sacasa, Roberto (writer) & Krieger, Lee Toland (director) (February 2, 2017). "Chapter Two: A Touch of Evil". Riverdale. Season 1. Episode 2. The CW.
- ↑ Lawrence, Yolonda E. (writer) & Krieger, Lee Toland (director) (February 9, 2017). "Chapter Three: Body Double". Riverdale. Season 1. Episode 3. The CW.
- ↑ Maxwell, Ross (writer) & Warn, Jesse (director) (February 23, 2017). "Chapter Five: Heart of Darkness". Riverdale. Season 1. Episode 5. The CW.