|“||Here in the cafetorium, Ghoulies sit over there. Rival gang, drug dealers, street racers, rumors of cannibalism. Don't ask.||”|
|— Toni to Jughead[src]|
The Ghoulies are a dangerous gang of criminals, and the rival gang of the Southside Serpents. Among their activities, they deal in drugs and street race for sport.
The Ghoulies have an ongoing rivalry with the Southside Serpents, as they share the same turf at Southside High.
The Ghoulies sat in the cafeteria of Southside High as Southside Serpent member, Toni Topaz, escorted new student and son of Serpent leader, Jughead Jones, throughout the school. She warned Jughead against fractioning off. Should the Ghoulies discover that he's alone and vulnerable, they'd attack, though he failed to heed her warning, which was a costly mistake.
War with the Serpents
The Ghoulies return to Riverdale shortly after being released from Shankshaw Prison. Lead by their leader, Malachai, the Ghoulies vandalize Pop's Chock'lit Shoppe. They know that Archie is inside and demand that he come out to face them. Malachai is armed with a spiked baseball bat. Realizing that he's outnumbered, Archie devises a plan. When the Ghoulies bust the front window out of the diner, Archie makes his way to the rooftop with Molotov cocktails. He launches one bottle at the Ghoulies' feet, forcing them to step back, though they remain outside the diner. The Ghoulies only retreat when Fred Andrews, Tom Keller and FP Jones arrive.
The Ghoulies have forged an alliance with Penny Peabody, a former member of the Southside Serpents. After Penny kidnaps a Serpent named Toni Topaz, she arranges a meet up with Jughead. Jughead shows up as planned, though he is surprised by Penny's alliance with the Ghoulies. Malachai and Penny want to talk, but Jughead sees no reason to continue the conversation. He pulls out his knife and tells them that he's taking Toni. However, Malachai won't allow for it. With a taser in hand, he tells Jughead that he's been waiting to see him again for a long time. It seems that Jughead did not come alone. He called Cheryl, who armed with her bow and arrows, tells Malachai to stand down and requests that Toni be untied. Malachai and Penny comply, but Penny tells Jughead to remember that when his friends are dead, she tried to give him a chance to stop it. Jughead asks what Penny wants. She replies that she wants the Southside. There's money to be made in Riverdale. So, she partnered with the Ghoulies to sell drugs on the Southside. She makes Jughead one final offer. The Serpents leave Riverdale tonight or there will be a showdown at Pickens Park at dawn with the Ghoulies.
It would later be revealed that Penny and the Ghoulies were hired by Hiram Lodge. Jughead meets with them after making a deal with Hiram. If he hands himself over to them, then there will be no bloodshed tomorrow. Penny doesn't quite understand why getting Jughead out of the way is so important to Hiram than an all-out Serpent annihilation. Jughead is vastly outnumbered. He questions if Malachai needed that much backup because he's afraid of him. Malachai replies that the only thing scary is what they're going to do to Betty when they find her. Jughead punches Malachai in the face. The Ghoulies then jump him. Penny watches as the Ghoulies brutally attack Jughead. She remarks that while he is a true hero, his sacrifice was for nothing because come morning, Riverdale as Jughead knows it will cease to exist. The Ghoulies then hold Jughead down as Penny gets her pound of flesh by cutting off his Serpent tattoo.
- "Chapter Sixteen: The Watcher in the Woods"
- "Chapter Nineteen: Death Proof"
- "Chapter Twenty: Tales from the Darkside" (mentioned)
- "Chapter Twenty-Two: Silent Night, Deadly Night" (mentioned)
- "Chapter Thirty-Three: Shadow of a Doubt" (mentioned)
- "Chapter Thirty-Four: Judgment Night"
- "Chapter Thirty-Five: Brave New World" (mentioned)
- The Ghoulies take their name from the Groovie Goolies, a 1970s spin-off of Sabrina the Teenage Witch Show and The Archie Show.  The series focused on a group of monsters from pop-culture, and Toni Topaz's mention of cannibalism may be a reference to that.
- Ghoulies is also an American horror-comedy series of films released in the 1980s and 1990s and centered on a group of small, demonic creatures that have a wide range of twisted appearances.
- ↑ Maxwell, Ross (writer) & Sullivan, Kevin (director) (October 25, 2017). "Chapter Sixteen: The Watcher in the Woods". Riverdale. Season 2. Episode 3. The CW.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Williams, Tessa Leigh & Anderson, Arabella (writers) & Kiley, Maggie (director) (November 15, 2017). "Chapter Nineteen: Death Proof". Riverdale. Season 2. Episode 6. The CW.
- ↑ Boucher, Shepard (writer) & Nowlan, Cherie (director) (May 9, 2018). "Chapter Thirty-Four: Judgment Night". Riverdale. Season 2. Episode 21. The CW.
- ↑ Archie Comics confirmed it on Twitter