The father-daughter relationship between Hal and Polly Cooper was estranged due to Polly being pregnant with Jason Blossom's baby, who was the son of a family Hal despises. Their relationship is also estranged as Hal wanted Polly to abort her baby, but Polly chose to keep them. Due to Polly's pregnancy, Hal refused for Polly to come live back with them because he refuses to have as he puts it "Blossom blood in his household". However, after Hal reveals that the real reason he hates Polly's pregnancy is because she and Jason were blood relatives, Hal becomes more open to Polly and allows her to come with the family.
Presumably, father and daughter had a good relationship before Polly began dating Jason Blossom. When Hal found out about the two he was furious and he and wife, Alice, tried to break them up. They were thrilled when Jason's parents forced him to do so, despite their daughter's heartbreak.
After learning of Polly's pregnancy, Hal and Alice conspired to send her away to a group home so no one would find out, however, Hal went behind his wife's back and made a appointment for Polly to receive an abortion, never asking whether or not that was what his daughter wanted, damaging their relationship.
To cover up Polly's pregnancy, Hal and Alice told everyone, including younger daughter Betty, that Polly had a nervous breakdown when Jason broke up with her, and that was why she was sent to live at a group home.
- ↑ Maxwell, Ross (writer) & Warn, Jesse (director) (February 23, 2017). "Chapter Five: Heart of Darkness". Riverdale. Season 1. Episode 5. The CW.
- ↑ Williams, Tessa Leigh & Zwart, Nicholas (writers) & Adelson, Steve (director) (March 2, 2017). "Chapter Six: Faster, Pussycats! Kill! Kill!". Riverdale. Season 1. Episode 6. The CW.
- ↑ Allen, Aaron (writer) & Anders, Allison (director) (March 9, 2017). "Chapter Seven: In a Lonely Place". Riverdale. Season 1. Episode 7. The CW.
- ↑ Cohen, Julia (writer) & Katzenberg, David (director) (March 30, 2017). "Chapter Eight: The Outsiders". Riverdale. Season 1. Episode 8. The CW.
- ↑ Maxwell, Ross (writer) & Sullivan, Kevin (director) (October 25, 2017). "Chapter Sixteen: The Watcher in the Woods". Riverdale. Season 2. Episode 3. The CW.