|This article is about the TV series. You may be looking for town, or the comic book series.|
Riverdale is a television series on The CW, based on characters from the Archie Comics. On January 29, 2016 it was announced that a pilot had officially been ordered, and on May 12, 2016 it was announced that it had been picked up by the network. It is currently airing as part of The CW's midseason line-up and premiered on Thursday, January 26, 2017 at 8 p.m. ET/PT. It is also streaming on Netflix internationally, with new episodes debuting the day after their US premiere.
Set in the present, the series offers a bold, subversive take on Archie, Betty, Veronica and their friends, exploring the surreality of small-town life — the darkness and weirdness bubbling beneath Riverdale’s wholesome façade.
As a new school year begins, the town of Riverdale is reeling from the recent, tragic death of high school golden boy Jason Blossom — and nothing feels the same... Archie Andrews is still the all-American teen, but the summer’s events made him realize that he wants to pursue a career in music — not follow in his dad’s footsteps — despite the sudden end of his forbidden relationship with Riverdale's young music teacher, Ms. Grundy. Which means Archie doesn't have anyone who will mentor him — certainly not singer Josie McCoy, who is only focused on her band, the soon-to-be-world-famous Pussycats. It’s all weighing heavily on Archie’s mind — as is his fractured friendship with budding writer and fellow classmate Jughead Jones. Meanwhile, girl-next-door Betty Cooper is anxious to see her crush Archie after being away all summer, but she’s not quite ready to reveal her true feelings to him. And Betty’s nerves — which are hardly soothed by her overbearing mother Alice — aren't the only thing holding her back. When a new student, Veronica Lodge, arrives in town from New York with her mother Hermione, there’s an undeniable spark between her and Archie, even though Veronica doesn't want to risk her new friendship with Betty by making a play for Archie. And then there’s Cheryl Blossom... Riverdale's Queen Bee is happy to stir up trouble amongst Archie, Betty, and Veronica, but Cheryl is keeping secrets of her own. What, exactly, is she hiding about the mysterious death of her twin brother, Jason? Riverdale may look like a quiet, sleepy town, but there are dangers in the shadows...
- KJ Apa as Archie Andrews
- Lili Reinhart as Betty Cooper
- Camila Mendes as Veronica Lodge
- Cole Sprouse as Jughead Jones
- Marisol Nichols as Hermione Lodge
- Madelaine Petsch as Cheryl Blossom
- Ashleigh Murray as Josie McCoy
- Mädchen Amick as Alice Cooper
- Luke Perry as Fred Andrews
- Mark Consuelos as Hiram Lodge (season 2)
- Casey Cott as Kevin Keller (season 2; recurring season 1)
- Skeet Ulrich as FP Jones (season 2; recurring season 1)
- According to Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa, every Halloween is going have an "Afterlife" special air, based on the popular Archie Comics series, Afterlife with Archie. However Season 2 didn't air said episode despite The Town That Dreaded Sundown, airing one night after Halloween.
- ↑ ‘Riverdale’, ‘Transylvania’, ‘No Tomorrow’ & Mars Drama Get CW Pilot Orders - Deadline
- ↑ Archie Comics Take 'Riverdale,' 'Frequency,' 'No Tomorrow' Picked Up to Series at CW - The Hollywood Reporter
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 CW Fall Schedule: Supergirl on Mondays; Riverdale, iZombie and The 100 Midseason - IGN
- ↑ CW Sets Midseason Dates for The 100, The Originals, Riverdale's Premiere, the Legends' Big Move and More - TVLine
- ↑ Riverdale - Netflix To Internationally Distribute Series - SpoilerTV
- ↑ Archie Comics Drama Series ‘Riverdale’ Set At Fox With Greg Berlanti Producing - Deadline
- ↑ AGUIRRE-SACASA: "RIVERDALE" IS "ARCHIE MEETS DAVID LYNCH," "AFTERLIFE" SPECIALS PLANNED - CBR