He is the servant to the Lodge family, during their time in Riverdale.
Smithers and Hermione Lodge apparently have a long history, one going back at least fifteen to sixteen years, as he was fairly comfortable with her, yet unfamiliar with her daughter, Veronica. The extent of their relationship is currently unknown.
Smithers welcomes Hermione home, greeting her with a hug and kiss, then becoming acquainted with her daughter, Veronica. He offers to get the bags but not without first asking if they would like a menu to order in. Hermione declines his generous offer as she would prefer one of Pop Tate's cheeseburgers from the shoppe. The next day, as he assisted Hermione in bringing up her bags, she graciously thanked him for all of his help. But no thanks is necessary as he's happy to lend a hand, despite the rest of Riverdale not being as eager. Before leaving, he informed Hermione of her 'missing' bag that was returned by the car service. 
Smithers brought in Hermione's dry-cleaning, From there, he learned that she would be accompanied by Fred Andrews at the Twilight Drive-In. Hermione explained that an attractive woman going with an old friend, is far less conspicuous than an older woman going alone. 
Having known both Hermione and Hiram Lodge for such a long period of time, it was Smithers that Veronica went to when seeking answers. She asked Smithers if he would describe her father as a good man, a question that he deiced best left unanswered. However, when asked about her mother, Smithers replied that there was no doubt in his mind that she was unequivocally good. Later that day, as Veronica returned to The Pembrooke, he handed her a package from her father. 
Smithers is an older man with tan skin, blue eyes and grey hair. An accurate description of what he wears outside of work is currently unavailable as he has only ever been seen in his black and burgundy servants uniform, while working at The Pembrooke.
Smithers is a loyal servant of the Lodges, he seems to be particularly fond of Hermione, considering that the two of them hugged following her return to Riverdale. Although Hiram Lodge is a terrible man, Smither refusal to speak ill of him spoke volume, proving just how loyal he truly is towards the family.
- "Chapter One: The River's Edge"
- "Chapter Four: The Last Picture Show"
- "Chapter Seven: In a Lonely Place"
- "Chapter Ten: The Lost Weekend"
- See also: Category:Images of Smithers
- ↑ Aguirre-Sacasa, Roberto (writer) & Krieger, Lee Toland (director) (January 26, 2017). "Chapter One: The River's Edge". Riverdale. Season 1. Episode 1. The CW.
- ↑ Grassi, Michael (writer) & Piznarski, Mark (director) (February 16, 2017). "Chapter Four: The Last Picture Show". Riverdale. Season 1. Episode 4. The CW.
- ↑ Allen, Aaron (writer) & Anders, Allison (director) (March 9, 2017). "Chapter Seven: In a Lonely Place". Riverdale. Season 1. Episode 7. The CW.
- ↑ Lundin, Britta & Paterson, E. Brian (writers) & Wilkinson, Dawn (director) (April 13, 2017). "Chapter Ten: The Lost Weekend". Riverdale. Season 1. Episode 10. The CW.