Zelda is the harsher of the Spellman sisters who helped raise Sabrina, though her sternness and tough facade might be hiding a more…mothering soul. Unlike Hilda, Zelda claims that she has never known love—her devotion to the Dark Lord is all-consuming—which is why people looking for a love-potion go to Hilda; those looking to make a spite-jar go to Zelda
When she was sixteen, Zelda signed the Book of the Beast, pledging her allegiance to the Dark Lord and joined the Academy of Unseen Arts. When Hilda went to Academy, Zelda submitted her to the school's Harrowing, a form of hazing for new witches, making academic life difficult for her little sister.
At some point, Zelda's nephew Ambrose was arrested for a conspiracy to blow up the Vatican, and when he refused to give up his co-conspirators, he was sentenced to house arrest under the watch of Hilda and Zelda. After Edward and Diana Spellman died, Zelda and her sister became Sabrina's guardians and raised her.
Throughout Chilling Adventures of Sabrina
Zelda is a middle-aged woman with red hair and green eyes. Her clothing style reflects the fashion of the old Hollywood. She often wears elegant necklaces, fur, and sunglasses. She can regularly be seen with her cigarette holder. Her makeup often includes pink lipstick and black mascara.
Zelda is a stern, proud and sometimes haughty witch, devout to the Church of Night. She follows the rules of the Church but is also willing to break them, to protect her family. Although she often abuses and kills Hilda, Zelda genuinely loves and cares about her; one of her greatest fears is losing her forever. Despite her devotion to the Dark Lord and the Church, Zelda has standards about certain things and even took Father Blackwood's daughter away because she was afraid that he might harm her because the baby was not a male heir. Zelda is willing to always do the right thing, proven when - despite her aversion to mortals - she and her family, summoned a tornado to lure them all to Baxter High to protect them from the Red Angel of Death. Zelda is also the one who comforted Sabrina the best after her breakup with Harvey Kinkle, showing that she's also able to be emphatic and maternal to her niece.
Powers and Abilities
- Spell Casting: The power to change and control events through the use of incantations, commands, or even gestures.
- Astral Projection: Zelda is capable of astral projecting her spirit from her body.
- Containment: The power to contain a being in a given area.
- Demonic Exorcism: Zelda is able to perform an exorcism, with the help of other witches.
- Atmokinesis: The power to control the weather. An example is when she and the other Spellmans created a tornado in order to lure every resident in Greendale to go on the Baxter High's basement.
- Warding: The power to place protection spells and wards on places and people, shielding them from harm.
- Telekinesis: The power to move and control things with the mind. Zelda uses this ability to save Harvey from getting punched by his father.
- Mediumship: Zelda is able to see and communicate with the spirits of the dead.
- Longevity: As a full witch, Zelda ages at an especially slow rate.
- Zelda has a dog Familiar
- In Archie Comics, Zelda is the kinder of the two aunts.
- She is the blonde, austere and science-minded aunt in the 90s sitcom, Sabrina the Teenage Witch, although she's the easy-going, curly blonde aunt in the 1996 made-for-TV movie that launched the sitcom.
- According to Zelda, the eclipsing of a blood moon is stated to only occur once every 66 years. Furthermore, all the Spellmans before Sabrina have been baptized under a blood moon. As Hilda, her younger sister would have been baptized under one and Zelda would have too, this means there is a minimum of sixty six years between their ages.
- See also: Category:Images of Zelda Spellman
Season 1 Screencaps
Season 2 Screencaps